No products in the cart.
DS Media & Events Ltd and its affiliated events, collectively Events of the North (“DS Media & Events”, “Events of the North” “us”, “we”, “our”) is a company registered in Scotland under registered number SC369894 with its registered office Kiln Rigg, Wall, Hexham, Northumberland, NE46 4EQ.
Events of the North deliver a number of mass participation sports events across the UK. Trading since 2010 under DS Media & Events Ltd, the company now organises four large scale events along with a number of smaller events throughout the year, ranging from 5K runs to Marathons and Duathlons.
collectively (the “Websites”) and your direct interactions with us.
We are the data controller for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/279) and any other law applicable to the processing of your personal information. We will take all necessary steps to ensure that your personal information is processed by us in accordance with these data protection laws.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT
|Data we collect||How we collect it|
|Identity data (first name, last name, username or similar identifier, gender, birth date, nationality)||Provided by you through a direct interaction with us (including your responding to a survey)|
|Contact data (email address, telephone number)||Provided by you through a direct interaction with us (including your responding to a survey)|
|Technical data (IP address, registered domain, browser type, hardware type, network and software identifiers, system configuration information, device information)||Using automated technologies or interactions (such as cookies and other similar technologies)|
|Usage data (visits to and use of our Website, activity history)||Using automated technologies or interactions (such as cookies and other similar technologies)|
|Marketing and communications data (marketing preferences in respect of us and third parties)||Provided by you through a direct interaction with us (including your responding to a survey)|
HOW WE MAY USE YOUR INFORMATION
The table below sets out how we use your personal information and what our lawful basis for processing your personal information is. We may process your personal information for more than one lawful basis depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your personal information. We will only use your personal information when the law allows us to.
|Purpose/Activity||Data type||Lawful basis for processing|
|To provide you with products and services||Identity dataContact data||Performance of a contract with you|
|To enable you to participate in events; including recording and publishing your finish time alongside your name, gender and age group||Identity dataContact data||Performance of a contract with you|
|To enable you to volunteer or host at events||Identity dataContact data||Performance of a contract with youExpress consent|
|To deal with emergencies relating to your participation in events; including contacting a next of kin||Identity dataContact data||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to ensure your safety and the safety of others at our events, and to protect our rights)Necessary to comply with a legal obligation|
|To administer and protect our Website and provide customer services (including sending you service messages via email)||Identity dataContact dataTechnical data||Performance of a contract with youNecessary for our legitimate interests (ensuring the proper operation of our Website and our business)|
|To verify your identity||Identity dataContact dataTechnical dataUsage data||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to prevent and detect fraudulent activity, security incidents and criminal activities)Necessary to comply with a legal obligation|
|To investigate complaints about our Website or events||Identity dataContact dataTechnical dataUsage data||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to ensure the proper operation of our Website and events)|
|To use data to perform statistical and trend analysis||Technical dataUsage data||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our business, Website and events and to inform our marketing strategy)|
|To promote our events||Identity data||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our business, Website and events)|
|To personalise your experience on our Website by delivering relevant content and advertisements||Identity dataContact dataTechnical dataUsage dataMarketing and communications data||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our business, Website and events and to inform our marketing strategy)|
|To make suggestions and recommendations to you about events, products or services that may be of interest to you||Identity dataContact dataTechnical dataUsage dataMarketing and communications data||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our events and grow our organisation)|
|To send you marketing about our own events, products and services||Identity dataContact dataTechnical dataUsage dataMarketing and communications data||Necessary for our legitimate interests (direct marketing)Express consent|
|To send you marketing about carefully selected partners to enhance your event experience||Identity dataContact dataMarketing and communications data||Express consent|
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If we need to use your personal information for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal information without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We keep your personal information confidential, but may share it for the purposes/activities set out in the table above with the following:
- selected third parties including:
- event related fulfilment including timing company and mailing house;
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with or in relation to you;
- results, including local and specialist media and participant photography services company
- charities (individual charities as selected by you on the entry form);
- advertisers and advertising networks that require personal information to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we will provide them with aggregate information about our users. We may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers reach the kind of audience they want to target. We may make use of the personal information we have collected from you to enable us to comply with our advertisers’ wishes by displaying their advertisement to that target audience; and
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our Website.
We will disclose your personal information to third parties:
- if we are required to do so by law or pursuant to a binding regulatory request (in such circumstances, such disclosure will at all times be solely to the extent required by law or the applicable regulatory request);
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your personal information to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- to protect the rights, property, or safety of our users, or others which may include exchanging information with third party companies for the purpose of fraud prevention or credit risk reduction.
OPTING-OUT OF MARKETING
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by of the relevant communications. You can do this by clicking ‘unsubscribe’ on any email or by emailing us at email@example.com with a request to be unsubscribed.
HOW YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IS STORED AND HOW LONG IS IT KEPT
We have adopted strict security processes, in accordance with good industry practice, to prevent the unauthorised access to, or disclosure of, your personal information. We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal information breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so. In addition, we also limit access to personal information to those employees, agents, consultants and other third parties on a need-to-know basis and subject in each case to suitable obligations relating to security and confidentiality of your information.
Despite our implementation of these policies, please note that we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information that you send to us via the internet (including via email or forms on our website) or which is collected using online devices/tracking technology.
We will retain your personal information only for as long as is strictly necessary for the purposes for which such personal information was originally collected (or for such longer period as may be required by law).
LINKING TO OR FROM OTHER WEBSITES
It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes during your relationship with us.
You have the right to:
- ask us to provide a copy of the personal information we hold about you;
- ask us to have personal information about you removed;
- ask us to have any inaccurate personal information about you corrected;
- object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest;
- request the restriction of processing of your personal information;
- request the transfer of your personal information to a third party;
- or where you have provided your consent to certain of our processing activities, in certain circumstances, you may withdraw your consent at any time (but please note that we may continue to process such personal information if we have legitimate legal grounds for doing so).
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal information (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal information (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal information is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
If you would like us to undertake any of the actions set out above in relation to your personal information, please contact us on email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to DS Media & Events Ltd, Kiln Rigg, Wall, Hexham, Northumberland, NE46 4EQ
In addition to the above, please note that you have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns first so please contact us in the first instance.
Updated March 2023